Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Eh?

Funny story:

I have found in the last month or so that every time I decide to try to be "interested" in a guy, one of my roommates pounces on the opportunity. It's like the second I mention anything about a guy I think might be cure or nice, they "notice" him and like him all of a sudden.

Let me elaborate.

First Instance: A while ago, I had a little thing for someone. I started talking to him regularly and I made sure I was noticed by him. I was doing really well. I thought I was almost to the point where he would ask me on a date because he would come over and talk to me and we would have really fun conversations. I decided to tell one of my roommates that I thought he was cute. Her reaction: "Yeah, he is! I think I'll ask him on a date!" After her attempt to ask him on a date (he was going out of town), she decides she has a "huge" crush on him and never noticed that I was the one who thought he was cute in the first place and had no idea how much I had invested in him. Meh.

Second Instance: I decided to like another guy that I had always noticed. I tell my roommates my reasoning behind my thoughts of liking. One got furiously mad at me for not noticing that everyone else liked him too, and that one in specific liked him more than the others (one who had been talking about a different guy). I was forced into confusion. They hadn't mentioned it to me, nor had they been talking to him at all. No one had made any move to try anything with the guy, which made me wonder why I "should have" noticed. Apparently I should know that someone likes a guy from their longing looks during Sacrament meeting or something. I'll try to be more observant. Meh again.

Third Instance: I decided that there was a guy in the ward who seemed very nice and I wanted to get to know him. I told my roommates this thought and that I had even asked about him from a close friend. They all agree that he seems nice and they approve. The next Sunday, one goes over and flirts with him. Then on Tuesday they invite him to see a movie with them (without telling me) and one decides she likes him a lot. Now, this one is a little different because I hadn't liked him yet, but it does follow the pattern. I mention, they pounce. Oh how fun.

Fourth Instance: This one is less pouncing...more like...I had no idea and now I feel bad. That kind of thing. I have been noticing a guy for a while in the ward. Obviously after I started dating someone I lost that interest, but now that I should be looking again I remembered him. Especially after we had a great conversation the other day. Since I had now recalled my initial interest, I decided to try again. I mentioned to my roommates (I know, you'd think I would have learned by now) that I like him. I always have fun talking to him and I have no problem being myself. I found out today that one of my roommates has just decided on Sunday that she really likes him. She hadn't seen him for months. There was no indication that she liked him at all. Now, I'm supposed to be the one who backs off? I don't know...

So there we go. It's even funnier when you remember the fact that this has all happened starting at about the middle of January. This drama reminds me of why I hate dating. I am always the bad person who should have known, even though they aren't even trying. My idea of getting a guy's attention actually involves getting the guy's attention. So, maybe the problem is just that I take a different approach. The good news is, one of my roommates is doing well with this approach again and I can figure out who she likes, but the others still baffle me. I don't want anyone to think I am mad about any of this. That's definitely the last thing that this is doing. It's more of an ironic situation that I thought others might get enjoyment out of. My life is a roller-coaster ride of drama! I hope you were entertained =)

2 comments:

Rica said...

I know the feeling of being the bad person...as you well know. =)

In the end, it's worth it. And for now, all we can do is laugh.

Lillian said...

Janae, I know exactly what you are talking about! Not necessarily that my roommates pounce, just that I actually know what situations you are talking about. Especially #3. Yeah, I know all about #3. ;) Good luck. Don't trust anyone! Lol, j/k. Love you!